Sunday, March 13, 2016

What type of Negotiator am I, Ethically?

According to our class chart, Chart A, measuring different levels of ethics referring to negotiations, I appear to be "shark bait". I laugh when writing this because I feel I am well rounded in negotiating at this point, but I lack the "killer" or demanding aspects of negotiating.

In Chart A, under Traditional Competitive Bargaining(TCB), I am ranked at a "5". When comparing my results to the male and female average in class, the male average is "6.03" and female "5.48", which is ranking me below in both categories. The TCB category refers to extreme opening demands and pressuring opponent to concede, thus saying that I am not a very aggressive negotiator. I agree with the TCB ranking because I tend to look more for the cooperative approach in negotiating and am not one to demand. I like my approach for being cooperative, however, this will hurt me in negotiations that call for defecting and needing more out of the negotiation.

I feel that there should be ethical approaches and treat a negotiation as you would a person in your family and not give false promises(FP) or Misrepresent Information(MIS). I also ranked below the average in both FP and MIS, but in these categories I am not upset with because I feel that you should be honest in negotiating. When misrepresenting information, you are not giving an honest side of the argument and can hinder the negotiation or future negotiations.

Furthermore, I ranked below all averages in every category of ethics in negotiating except, Positive Emotional Management(POS). This is when you lead your opponent to believe you are happy or pleased or care about him/her. I also agree with this ranking because I tend to do this in every aspect of my life and I think this could be very beneficial in negotiating. This is letting your opponent know that you care about the outcome of the negotiation, not for just your behalf, but for your opponents side as well. This can reassure your opponent that you are not trying to "rip" them off and short side them in the negotiation. However, again this is just proving more that I don't have the demanding aspects of a strong negotiator.

All in all, I agree with Chart A and how I scored. There are areas that I will need to focus on now after referring to the chart and try to be more demanding and assertive in my negotiation to ensure a more favorable outcome.

    Chart A.



No comments:

Post a Comment