Sunday, April 24, 2016

Live-8, Electronic Negotiation

In this weeks blog, I'll be discussing the differences between electronic and face-to-face negotiation. In this past weeks negotiation, I was trying to purchase a web domain name because I had complications with my last domain name and needed it to be revolved around the name "Live-8." This domain name is critical because of the charity concert that I am orchestrating and utilizing a website to do a lot of my interactions with guest and ticket sales. Accordingly, I need it up and running immediately. However, the new domain name that I am trying to purchase is currently being used and we our in the process of exchanging a settlement over the domain name via "texting."

Some of the positives with using electronic negotiation as a medium is that you can plan out your responses more meticulously and not have emotion or pressure alter your decision making. Also, utilizing the silence tactic or anchor tactic can be more beneficial by making the other team reach a deal closer to your aspiration. 

However, there are also cons to electronic negotiation because you can't see facial expressions or pick up on situational ques through face-to-face negotiation. Furthermore, if you are on the receiving end of the silence tactic, like I was in the "Live-8 Negotiation," you become eager and impatient and might want to make concessions faster than you normal would, especially if you are on a strict deadline.

All in all, there are positives and negatives in negotiating through electronic mediums. I believe a good choice is to use electronic mediums to initiate negotiations, but then use face-to-face negotiating to hopefully result in a faster and more cooperative negotiation depending on the circumstances.   

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often. Best Bike Water Bottle Holders

    ReplyDelete